View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Winfield1990
EcoModding Lurker

Maybe wiki is a horrible source to learn about lithium ion batteries , but what do they mean by.

A Standard (Cobalt) Li-Ion cell that is full most of the time at 25 °C (77 °F) irreversibly loses approximately 20% capacity per year. Poor ventilation may increase temperatures, further shortening battery life. Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, and 15%, respectively.[41][citation needed] In contrast, the calendar life of LiFePO4 cells is not affected by being kept at a high state of charge

When they mean full most of the time do they mean while sitting on the shelf or also while in use? 20% maximum capacity per year seems like alot. In one year if I had 200 miles on a single charge I would then have 160 miles on a single charge thats a drastic decrease.

Because with how the temperates vary through the seasons , I hope thats just if its sitting not being used at all because that would be a high maximum loss. Even though I know it would be more of an average with the temperate changes.

I would hope to be able to try to keep my batteries pretty close to a full charge while I am not using them and not have them at half to prevent premature replacement.