View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 01:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
AndrewJ
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Bike riding at night - pointers.

So, tonight I was heading home I noticed a cyclist ahead of me in the dark. This guy was going down the street in the opposing lane of traffic, with no lights on a black bike (riding ninja-style as I like to call it) and blowing through a stop sign at full speed. In short, he was doing EVERYTHING wrong.

Statistically speaking, riding a bike at night is the most dangerous riding you're ever likely to do. Only about 3% of bike trips occur at night, but night riding accounts for up to 95% of bike-car crashes.
So with that in mind here's a few pointers for any of you who might need to venture out under your own power at night.

1.) BE VISIBLE!!!! (be predictable!)
2.) Minimum of one rear blinking red light, preferably two.
3.) Minimum of one white/yellow front-facing light, preferably a second blinking one.
4.) Minimum of the usual CPSC reflectors. (yellow reflectors on the pedals, red reflector in the rear, white reflectors on the front and both wheels.) Extra reflective-goodness is always a plus.

Anyway, I don't know how many of you have ventured out after dark, but when and if you do, be extra vigilant. Act as if they can't see you.