View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Jim-Bob
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
Work on low end torque for better fuel economy. You didn't specify which engine you have, but I will assume it is a Windsor 302. They make a fair amount of torque stock (well...for an engine with a short stroke and short rods...), but you should be able to get a cam that will enhance it. Also, if you want headers, go for tri Y headers as they tend to increase low end torque at the expense of high RPM horsepower. Now, as far as your transmission is concerned, I will assume you have an AOD-E. I would reprogram the transmission's computer to not kick down until it has far more throttle input. You could also consider switching to the GT40P heads off of a 5.0 Explorer as they are more efficient and I believe they have a better combustion chamber shape than the E-7 style heads you likely have stock. I would also add that adding torque will make the truck better in every way that a truck needs to be better. It won't make it fast but it will feel quicker off the line. Still, I would try to limit your use of the truck to utility duties as much as possible as it is not really ever going to be all that fuel efficient. The engine is too large, the frontal area is terrible and the cd is not much better than that of a barn door. You can mitigate that somewhat by lowering it substantially (say, 8 inches) and adding an air dam and a removable partial grill block. If you do the grill block though, consider a larger radiator from a 1 ton truck with a 460 or a diesel. That chassis was made for a long time so finding one shouldn't be too hard. The reasoning is that with the grille partially blocked, the extra surface area will make the most of what little isn't blocked and still allow it to cool.
No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)