View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #4322 (permalink)
wakinyantanka
Custom EV Builder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBecker View Post
That's too simple of a conclusion.

Aluminum has about half the thermal conductivity as copper. To transfer the same heat with temperature drop we need twice the cross section area. Easy enough: just buy twice as much aluminum, which will still cost less than the copper.

But the situation is much different when we want to move the heat away from a point source rather than down a constant cross-section. Or more specifically, from a small metal patch on the back of the MOSFET to the heatsink. It becomes a 3D problem. We can't just stuff more material in the contact patch.

A solution is to use the best thermal conductor (copper) to spread the heat out from the point source, and then a lower cost bulk material (aluminum) to transfer the heat.

I haven't done an analysis on the Cougar thermal design, just a quick estimate. I believe the most thermally restrictive element is the thermal pad on the MOSFET. This paper-thin material electrically isolates the MOSFET back from the heat spreader. But even the best thermal pads are far less thermally conductive than copper or aluminum, and they are right where the heat is concentrated.

An obvious thing to do is have the MOSFETs directly contact a thin copper sheet that acts as a first-level heat spreader. But you quickly find out why Paul chose the approach he did. You have to figure out where to put the electrical isolation. The thermal pad material is expensive, and the better you do widening the heat flow path, the more you have to buy. And the mounting hardware really wants to electrically bridge your isolation.

We are designing
Isn't this were the sot-227 mini bloc style mosfets come into play? I think they can be mounted directly to the surface of the heat spreader without thermal pad material and you have a larger area on the back of the mosfet itself.
Please correct me if I'm wrong as this is the approach I'm taking with my build.