View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #4329 (permalink)
DJBecker
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Actually, you quickly find out why Ian Hooper in Australia did what he did. haha. I just copied other people's work (with their permission) and bought a mill and smart people started helping me.

I like that bus bar idea!

With water cooling, is it bad if the water is in direct contact with an electrically live material? Really pure water is a terrible conductor.
There is no such thing as pure water. At least not for very long. And you couldn't keep a thin insulating layer in the cooling channels intact with a 150V potential between two of them.

One solution is to cool with oil. They make special oil for the purpose, but any cheap oil will do. It's non-conductive and doesn't need to be changed. The only drawback is that you have to flow about twice the volume as water for the same heat transport.

There are other insulating fluids that are better, but I don't think they are needed. Once you decide to move heat with circulating fluid instead of conduction, you can move a lot of heat. The cool plate and radiators are more important than the working fluid.

Last edited by DJBecker; 02-06-2011 at 09:08 PM..