View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Later got a Concours ZG1000, still only commuting still got 45 mpg and 10,000 rear tire life. ZX600e 45 mpg, 250 Ninga 60 mpg, KLR650 45 mpg (50+ if I'd kept it near 55 mph). All but the Concours I took the 1/2 back road 1/2 freeway route to work. Concours all backroads.

Should have stopped buying trading with the first one I bought, the KLR650 and kept it on the back roads, and it had cheap tires, only 4 valves to check, one carb to clean.
The Concours has some good potential when set up correctly. I'm averaging just about 54 mpg for my 30 mile each way commute that is 66% freeway. Here are some key points of my set-up. Pretty darn sweet in the winter with all that weather protection too.

1) The Concours can use 160/80 Gold Wing touring tires that drastically increase the tire life ( I have over 40,000 miles on a Dunlop k177 rear now).

2) The jetting is rich from the factory. Drop the fuel level in the carbs to 10mm below the parting line between the bowl and the carb body. I gained exactly 5 mpg from this change alone. Alternatively, and probably better, buy a jet kit from Steve in Sunny Florida on the concours.org listserver. I think the economy kit is like $35.

3) The big windshields move more air and decrease mileage. Cutting down the stocker to just below the lip gained about 2 mpg and virtually eliminated the helmet buffeting.

4) Speed has a negative affect just like any other bike. Poke along with traffic in the right lane (60 vs 70+) and I add another 3 or 4 mpg.

4) The valves don't need to be checked that often after they seat in at about 25K. At this point adjustment is usually needed at about 25K intervals, sometimes longer.

5) These bikes just don't wear out. Mine has 212,000 miles on it now and it just keeps going along. You can ride this bike a long time after others have worn out or needed costly repairs, saving alot of cash.

I too like simplicity in bikes, so I bought a 2006 Zongshen Sierra ZS200GY-2. 200cc Yamaha technology single cylinder, air cooled, two valves, carb. It is a real hoot to ride such a light, fun bike. The Concours however just keeps going and going and going and is stone reliable, despite it's complexity.