View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rooster
He ain't gonna die!

Tree Catcher - '94 Acura Integra LS
90 day: 32.12 mpg (US)

The Old Dog - '92 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
First Free Mod

Rear Seat/Seat Belt Delete

Wight Savings Apx 35 lbs

Time invested: Apx 1 hour

Today I undertook the task of trying to save some weight, but since I'm a little cash poor, spending money at the moment will have to wait. So, here's what I did.

There's the rear seats, on their last day getting a free ride and doing nothing for the privelage.

Getting the seats out was a very easy and straightforward process. The seat backs aren't even bolted in, you just kind of push each side towards it's respective side of the car and it pops out. The seat bottom was also easy, held in by a single 10mm bolt, once you unscrew that, the seat rotates up and forward 90 degrees, pops up about an inch, then rotate it back and it's out. Then you're left with something like this;

Next was to remove the seatbelts with their retracters and all the hardware. This is the more time consuming part, but still rather easy. All I had to do was remove various bolts and screws from the plastic side panels, some of these screws are behind the speaker panel and shock tower access panels. Pull the plastic panels back and unbolt the seatbelts.

One side with the seatbelt, shortly before its demise;

And the other side, already poached;

The best part about this mod, is how clean the final product looks, the trunk rear carpet is the same piece as the seat backs, which are just held in with clips. So, pop the clips out of the seatbacks, and lay the carpet back over the empty space, and voila!

Reasonably clean modification. I can only estimate the weight savings since I don't have a hanging scale...yet. But I think I pulled out something like 35 pounds of dead weight. Not a bad start! And I also found the ABS computer behind the passenger side rear plastic panel, so when I do delete the ABS system, there's some extra free weight removal I can come back to later.

Last edited by The Rooster; 02-07-2011 at 10:32 PM..