View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
nimblemotors
EcoModding Jack

The ford mustang steel donut spare is 24lbs as I recall, I have a scale and measure everything for my MGeo project.
I wonder if the seat backs are part of the car structure if they weigh that much??

Good job on the gas fillup strategy, it makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
Not just the seats, but the seat belts also. It all adds up, the seat bottom isn't very heavy being that it's mostly foam, cloth and some steel wire, feels like it might be 10 lbs, but the seat backs have steel plate backings and actually have some weight to them, each half must weight at least 15 pounds. Then of course the seatbelts and all the hardware, probably about 5 pounds each.

I keep the spare tire, a set of tire chains, jumper cables and the jack and tools. I consider those survival items and I'm not about to drive around in snowy conditions without them. I may take them out over the summer, bur for winter time, they stay. The donut spare isn't very heavy anyway, feels about as heavy as the seat backs.

As far as fuel goes, I have to make a slight detour to fill up, so I have to drive more miles every time I fill up. Also, I live in the mountains and fill up on my way to work on my way down the hill. This way I burn off about 80 miles of fuel before I come back home and have to go back up the hill. I used to make the mistake of filling up on the way home, then carting a full tank of gas up the hill.