View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Energy Miser
EcoModding Lurker

The Nice Car - '01 BMW 530i
90 day: 29.58 mpg (US)

Ol' Clacky - '96 Honda Civic DX

Silver Slowpoke - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 53.77 mpg (US)
So there is nothing to be gained by removing the electrical generating load from the ICE in my car? I don't buy that. I have disconnected my alternator and I drove my car home 26 miles from work, at highway speeds. By the time I was home the car started to run poorly and wouldn't restart with the starter. The battery has a constant draw when the car is running. I don't want to generate electricity with my cars engine anymore. I will plug into the grid for that. I like using American made energy as opposed to foreign. I still get electricity that is made in the US at my house. If American made electricity offsets even a smidge of the fuel I use to get to and from my job, it is worth it. Someone once told me that I couldn't get 50 MPG from a stock Civic EX. Someone once told me I couldn't sell my own house and keep a $28,000 commission. Someone once told me I couldn't learn stock trading on my own. Someone once told me I couldn't drill my own water well. Someone once told me I couldn't plant and harvest 2 acres of corn by hand. If I listened to everyone that ever told me what I was doing was impossible or stupid, I can't imagine where I would be now. I love how forum posts always end up with people trying to discourage each other from trying things. I wonder what forums would have been like in Tesla's day, probably the same. I learn by trying, I learn more by failing. I was hoping for useful information on here, not just someone trying to convince me how stupid the things I want to do are. I want to do it. It is my time, my money, my car. If I fail, I will learn, if I learn I will try again.