View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #71 (permalink)
max_frontal_area
EcoModding Apprentice

idealistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvdM View Post
So if I understand this correctly, he DID run faster because this mod helped more high pressure air to the back of the car into the low pressure area, thereby reducing drag?

Now it sounds like most posts here are theorising about almost eliminating the low pressure completely, but even reducing it by say 5% would be beneficial.

I (thus) still thing that ducting higher pressure air from the back of the radiator through a well made ram-air system, running parallel to the exhaust in the tunnel (not to increase FA) to the back, could be a positive rather than a negative, especially at highway speeds.

Yes / No
the ghias nose would begin bobbing at 120, an unpleasant occurrance at best.
i had my stock 71 VW fastback (similar round nose) up to 100 on one of the endless bridges in FLA and it was beginning to move around a bit!
as is common in elmo and b-ville depleted uranium is added anytime there
is a lack of traction as well as for suspension tuning, rather than designing
suspension for the intended purpose. the lead didnt do doo doo. and the turboed l4 rabbit gasser in the back where a modest air cooled engine used to be still had plenty of punch. therefore the implementation of the duct.
did he go faster because of drag reduction? invariably yes, by how much -
dunno. did the duct move air - hell yeah! eventually it allowed him to get up to 160MPH!

most cars have transmission tunnels whether utilized for their namesake or not. however clean airflow is always obstructed by lots of stuff.
exhaust pipes, cats, resonators, brackets, heat shields e.t.c. on a FWD
and a driveshaft, mounts, flexplates, u-joints e.t.c. on a RWD.
its very busy under there. now purposely route additional air through there and
your exhaust pipe will be cooled even more. 200f air coming off the back of your radiator is cool compared to what is inside your exhaust system especially once it has gone through a catalytic converter. also your radiator air will mix with ambient air along the way considerably cooling it. racers go through considerable lenghts to keep their exhaust pipes as warm as possible for max efficiency/power. some cars exhaust systems approach 20'. lots of potential for loss there. which is why most boneville rigs vent their exhaust right behind the front tire...