View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
max_frontal_area
EcoModding Apprentice

smaller alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyrabbit View Post
I calculated the other day that it might have cost me 1.6 mpg to run (2) 65 Watt H6054 halogen headlamps. I assumed 53 mph, Bsfc 0.40 #/hp-hr, and 50% alternator efficiency. Since then I have been thinking about yanking the Bosch OEM alternator out of my '81 Diesel Rabbit, and replacing it with a tiny little Nippondenso unit I got out of a crashed Geo Metro 3 cyl years ago. I could probably put a big pulley on the Nippondenso as well. I have converted most of the commonly used lights to LED, so I am sure the OEM unit is overkill. By the way, has anyone heard of a manual fuel cutoff retrofit for Bosch Diesel injection pumps?
i was thinking of relocating and downsizing the alternator in my diesel rabbit
as well as putting it on its own belt and making an adjustable, cam actuated
quick release to remove the belt for longer daytime drives.
i recently scored wearable 4" "headlights" with individual reflectors for each led @ a dollar store!! plan to use them for tail, break lights. how do i bring the voltage down to 4.5 and 3 volts? also will i need power resistors?

i began designing a cable actuated solenoid for the VE pump after seeing a cut away view demo pump @ a fuel injection shop and discussing it with a tech there but then quickly began to realize the power draw is minimal.
so unless you are going all out psycho dont worry about it. if you are still worried it is a simple plunger with a very light spring load. dunno what threads it uses but I would double viton o-ring it if i were to do it.
dont crack your pump removing it the electric one cause its in there good!

how much more efficient would a modern and or smaller alternator be?