View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #85 (permalink)
FourBinLabs
Confused, as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
You have it right here...

Once diesel ignites, it burns significantly faster, and in a more uncontrolled fashion, than gasoline. As well, there are additional points of secondary ignition when the diesel burns. The higher the octane, the slower it burns, and the lower the chance of secondary ignition points.

Read the Gasoline FAQ link I posted previously... no, really, read it. You're still equating the octane rating (RON, MON, AKI) with initial auto-ignition under temperature and pressure. It is not the same, as I said in my previous post.

Octane rating conveys what happens once the fuel has been ignited, not how difficult it is to ignite the fuel initially, according to the FAQ.

I was under the impression that auto ignition was only a result of temperature and pressure (that and carbon deposits). But looking closer at the below definition, I see that octane rating may only be in reference to a spark-ignition system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of petrol and other fuels to autoignition in spark-ignition internal combustion engines.
I'll spend some time reading the article after I get home from work and post back later when I'm more informed. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
This "discussion" has still not rendered any light, just a bunch of heat. I can't think of a single good reason to put diesel in a gasser. The engine was designed for gasoline - use it. Diesel is not going to improve anything.
The above quote has not rendered any light, just a bunch of heat. Not one piece of substance here, just an opinion with no backing.