View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 04:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
hvatum
EcoFodder

Jetta TDI - '00 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX2.3 View Post
I was wondering this today and found a 3 year old article by edmunds when gas was $60 a barrel. The only real answer I could find points to around 2036.. what do you think? what have you heard?

It would be crazy if oil became a toy that only the rich could afford as it becomes scarcer..

I am ordering the lowering coils and after some hard work this summer will come new smaller tires and light weight rims.. hopefully after a re-tune I will see +30mpg hwy.. and maybe someday be electric, but most likely after I finish college

I wish ford still made electric Rangers
Unfortunately A LOT.

The question is what will it cost to get it. Only recently has the price consistently headed above $35. That's the break even point for commercial coal liquefaction (seems low to me actually). It's not a theoretical technology, Nazi Germany was running their entire army on it until the syn plants were bombed.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._6/ai_89924477

That's not including the tar sands reserves spread around the world, which probably contain about twice the liquid oil reserves. Those haven't even entered into the equation until recently, since it's a highly environmentally damaging process to remove the oil and pretty expensive. First we'll use up those, and then begin industrial coal liquefaction. This hasn't been implemented yet though as building the massive refinery capacity to do this has a huge lead time and presents a huge financial risk if it suddenly turns out oil gets cheap again. Also, environmentalists (rightly) block this from being implemented.

I personally do foresee a continued increase in gas prices, but not due to a lack of raw supply. More so, due to a lack of refining and production capacity and carbon taxes, all of which are products of the environmental movement. I'm fine with that though.