View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #99 (permalink)
FourBinLabs
Confused, as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3058 View Post
Many questions surround how much is ok, and what long-term effects may be, but this might have potential for the serious experimental-type of ecomodder.

Any thoughts on what this would do in a lean-burn Honda VX engine?
My guess is that a lean-burn situation would increase the chance of running into engine knock. It would seem that whatever affect you see most gasoline engines, you would see on a lean burn. This is purely speculation though. I've already learned from this thread that there is a lot more to what happens in the combustion chamber then meets the eye.

Also, just to let you know, I started a test on this back on Tuesday. I am running ~10% mix in my vehicle. I put in 2.5 gallons of diesel and 22 gallons of gasoline. I would have gone to 22.5 but ran out of room in the tank. Then again, I'm sure there was more than .5 gallons of gasoline in the tank, so maybe that's a good thing.

If someone secretly put 10% diesel into my tank, I would have no idea. Power seems unaffected, or has changed in such a small way that I can not tell. There is no change in exhaust look or odor.

I haven't been putting many miles on this week, and I have been letting my vehicle idle more than usual because of the recent cold temps. I am driving round trip to chicago this weekend (over 100mi each way), so I'll be able to get a good idea what the highway mileage is.

The bad news, I haven't been checking my mileage in this vehicle for a couple years because I only drive it in the winter. After running through a few tanks and switching back to gasoline, I can show some results. It's just going to take a long time.