View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CivicHatch View Post
Also, I had always wondered when I fill up if different pumps/gas stations would stop differently and therefore my FE would be off, but maybe they are actually closer than I think. I did a 40 mile fill up tonight and it only came to be about 34mpg (I was trying to neutral glide a lot, especially up to stoplights), but I was hoping to do better. I have a bad left front cv axle that is now starting to make a lot of noise so that is bothersome and I need to fix it sometime (although I think the boot has been torn for a year and a half.
If you are only putting a gallon of gas in the car then tempature is going to play as much of a roll as anything else, the fuel in the return line is warmed up and heads back to the tank, a 40 mile trip the fuel in the tank has warmed up a reasonable amount and at that point is taking up a bit more space, this is why it can appear that your fuel level has dropped while parked over night.

As for your driving style, keep it in gear and take your foot off the gas pedal, if your engine is warmed up, oil pressure high enough, engine speed above I think 1,100 RPM or so and then Honda's will cut the fuel injector so instead of burning a quarter of a gallon per hour or whatever your engine uses at idle it's using nothing.