View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
EdKiefer
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaKC2005 View Post
2010 Civic sedan M/T. Have been using dealer fill 5W-20 (Quaker State) for a while now. Several days ago however, I got my hands on some Honda Genuine 0W-20 Synthetic blend oil in SN/GF-5 flavor (Conoco/Phillips blend). Ever since changing, the engine struggles less at low rpms, allowing me to short shift even more. Where as normally anything under 1700-1800rpms ended up bogging & lugging, I can now shift even lower and land in the 1500rpm range and still accelerate smoothly in that gear. Wasn't expecting to notice a difference at all. Just starting learning basic hypermile techniques so I'm interested to see how much better I can do.
It is good they are shifting to semi synthetic blends on the 2011 but I have hard time believing you would feel any difference between them, especially at eco speeds/rpm (low rpm) .There both 20w , at cold temps I can see engine running with less drag at bit but once warmed up I would think it be like the 5w20 .
When you see dyno graphs comparing synthetic to normal grades of same weight its only few hp and needs high rpm to show that .

Anyway glad its working I was thinking of trying it as temps by me are pretty cold now .