View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zerohour
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
I agree Ed, might be a placebo effect...unless gaKC let his oil run way too long and it has broken down to sludge before you got it changed :-p But since he's going to a dealer and its a 2010 I kinda doubt that he has! (kudos to gaKC for starting the engine's life off with regular maintenance!)

Kansas might be cold right now, but its not THAT cold that you would have a considerable difference in feel from change the oil weight.

The only other idea that came to mind was that previous oil fill has overfilled. Or on your regular one year maintenance gaKC got a new air filter! :-p

Remember the 5W to 0W switch has its best gains at start up as the oil is "less thick" (hold that term loosely). Once the 5W-20 and the 0W-20 get to temp there should be no difference with viscosity. Do you go alot of short trips? Maybe your car never gets to full temp? My Subaru takes a solid 20 minutes of driving in winter to get everything warmed up to the point where the intake holds a stable temp and I can a best out of my eco-miles.

Edit: What is your mileage? New engines have a wear in period. And if you ever read driver logs most cars deliver better performance than when they drove off the lot (check out Car and Driver's long term tests). It is possible that your Civic's engine and trans have reached through this transition as well.