Thread: Saturn TDI
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Craig
EcoModding Lurker

Hi!

Wow, that's a pretty good score! I knew GM made an Ecotec diesel that wasn't offered here AFAIK, but that's the first one I've seen.

I'm taking an educated guess here, but my thought is that you could easily swap that into just about any GM vehicle that came with an Ecotec drivetrain to begin with. I take it that you got the transaxle to go with the diesel? Diesel gearboxes are geared differently from the standard gasoline ones. The basic mechanical swap "might" be plug 'n play, although you may have to make or modify some pieces to get it to come together, plus a few unknown challenges with integrating the diesel electronics into the vehicle.

I'd start with looking under the hood of some Ecotec-powered cars and study the mounting points for the drivetrain and compare them to your diesel, take some measurements, and study the nuances of each drivetrain to give you an idea of what obstacles you may run into (exhaust, intake airbox, coolant plumbing, linkages, wiring) as you sort things out. When I started the Saturn TDI project, I did a lot of online research and poked around under the hood of a few non-TDI Jetta's (TDI cars are a little hard to find around here) for measurements and orientation of the real estate I had to work with before I took the plunge on a drivetrain. As you can tell, it was a lot of work, but I'm glad I did it!

Take care, and best of luck with your project!

Craig
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig For This Useful Post:
bradjensen68 (02-15-2011), cfg83 (02-12-2011)