View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
jwxr7
EcoModding Apprentice

the metro experience (retired) - '94 geo metro 4 dr HB
90 day: 66.44 mpg (US)
I just came across this thread, but before seeing this I was talking with minic6 over at GS about changing my metro 5th gear. I wanted to mod 5th gear because I thought it could be changed without pulling the trans.
Here's what I suggested to minic6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7
I may have come up with a short cut to making gears from scratch. I was looking at some service manual stuff on our trannies that someone posted over at teamswift.net. 2nd gear is 1.894:1 so if you could switch the gears around so the input shaft now has the gear from the countershaft and vice versa, you would end up with a .528:1 over drive. This would drop my revs from 3000 rpms at 60 mph down to just under 2100 rpms. That is quite a drop, maybe too much, because currently I use 5th gear around town as low as 25 mph. The majority of my driving is around 45 though and the new rpms would be about 1570 rpms (instead of 2250 rpms).
If we could get ahold of some junk trannies we could remove the second gear set and already have a meshing pair of gears. Problem is, the inputshaft has second gear integrated into the shaft (we'd have to cut the shaft off both sides and bore it out for the 5th gear countershaft) and the bore diameter is probably different for the 2nd gear counter shaft gear and who knows what else would need modified. Could be better than starting from scratch though.

just a crazy thought
Then he suggested reusing the inner diameters of the original 5th gear gears and fitting them to the bored out 2nd gear gears to retain the splines and correct shaft diameters etc.

So it sounds like we are on similar paths Daox (and I thought I had an original idea )

Best tank= 81.23 mpg on 07-01-2008
Longest range= 791 miles on 9.74 gallons

Last edited by jwxr7; 04-28-2008 at 12:52 PM..