View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
mikee55
EcoModding Lurker

A Vauxhall Zafira 2.0TDI

Hello Everyone, I got rid of my Nissan Serena and bought a Vauxhall Zafira. Its a year 2000 2.0L TDI. I can't run Veg oil or Bio diesel in it, so I'm back here looking for any help and advice. I found straight away that the car is good with fuel economy. I don't have figures yet, my visits to the filling station is less. However, I'd like to try a few things. But first, an issue. When I pull off from standing, its so slow. Got myself in a few near misses, just not being used to a car that doesn't pull away quickly. I figured mess with the air intake, a narrow pipe with an 'S' bend, from the front grill to the box at the side of the bay. Through the MAF and Turbo through an Inter cooler and so on. I bought a replacement K&N panel filter, hoping to just clean and not worry about buying new. Plus, K&N say about increased performance. I know it ain't gonna give any more than a couple of percent of improvement, but maybe a couple may help me pull off quicker? No, not by much, so, I drilled the air box. Damn thing got noisy and a bit quicker, just need that bit more. Okay the air box is in two halves, I'll do away with the bottom half, exposing the entire surface of the filter to air! Hot air! A day out with the family saw increased noise, undesirable and the engine temperature went up and more importantly the fuel gauge, went down quick!!! Great, I can pull out at a junction without holding people up and buy tankers of fuel, or get honked at for being slow. I have to add, I get no Engine Light on and the car is fast, once it gets going. I have heard they go into Limp mode, when theres a MAF problem? But not being happy with fuel consumption, I've put the original paper filter back in and re attached the box and pipe.

Can anyone explain, why its hard to pull away?

Thanks

Mike