View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #43 (permalink)
roosterk0031
Master EcoModder

Your right, if you have a decent FE car around 25+ mpg a bike won't pay for itself unless you are doing 300+ miles per week and you DD your replacing is 15- mpg, and you live in a climate where you can and are willing to drive it 60% year (all rough guestimates).

It's all in the numbers, cost of ownership, cost of insurance per day riden, cost of tires, maintance & purchase price. And all I want is potential bike owners to know is MPG is a small part of owning a bike. Assuming a typical car owner than won't do maintance past chaning oil, replacing tires, replace chain & sprockets, doing a valve check every 15,000-28,000 miles, flushing the antifreeze, cleaning the carbs if you store it poorly over a winter, etc...., 12,000 mile one year warranty....

But forget all that if all you want to do is convince the wife that a bike will safe $$, just look at MPG's, just know going in the facts.

I'm via email trying to talk one of my nephews out of a 600rr (even though I'd like to take a few joy rides). He's looking performance per $ with this current ride a ttr225, and RR's are incredible that way.