Thread: engine swapping
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sularus
EcoModding Lurker

Versa - '12 Nissan Versa Hatchback S
90 day: 39.65 mpg (US)
engine swapping

Okay, here is the deal. I own a 2001 pontiac grand prix with a 3.8L v6. I am slowly working on improving the gas mileage as much as possible. I have some plans to work on the aero some. I won't be able to do too much, due to an upcoming deployment in April. I will be gone all summer, but my wonderful wife is getting us out of debt while I am gone.
I am thinking of swapping in a 4cy engine either over the winter or next spring. I was wondering if anyone here has a good amount of expierence with GM products. I am thinking of putting in a GM 4cyl, mainly it would be easier to get the computers working properly in the long run without going to a standalone engine management system.
I know I am going to get the usual response "just by a smaller car". The whole point of getting out of debt is too stay out of debt. I plan on doing most of the swap with parts freshened up from a junkyard or other second hand purchases. If anyone has any ideas, I am open to suggestions. I don't have to stay with GM products, it just makes mating computers up easier.

J