View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
comptiger5000
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
As far as running temps for those, make sure your fan clutch is good. If it is, as long as it's not over 220*, you're not overheating. It's only if it passes that point where it's a concern. For reference, 1 tick mark right of center on the temp gauge is about 223*. 210* is normal running temp.

Yeah, the mpg sucks, but they're not city cruisers. Get it out on the highway, and it's much better. As far as the transfer case, if you get binding in tight turns, look into swapping it. When the viscous coupler fails, that can hurt mpg slightly.

However, if the unit is working properly, it really doesn't make an mpg difference. The later version of the quadra-trac unit that came with my Jeep works a bit differently, so it's safe to pull the front shaft, but it's still full time 4wd normally. I pulled the front shaft at one point, and later swapped to a Selec-Trac case (front shaft installed), and didn't notice any mpg difference at all, city or highway.

Also, for best VC lifespan and mpg, when setting tire pressures, measure distance from rim lip to ground to get it even front to rear for even rolling diameter to minimize drag in the transfer case. This will likely have a couple more psi in the front tires than the rear.

I might have to try the grill block on mine for the long highway run home next Friday. I don't think I need all that cooling in February. Of course, around town, I know I'd get mine pretty hot with a grill block.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city