View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
texanidiot25
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
After snow drifting in the morning in Austin, and mudding/trails with it that night in Houston, I think I killed the VC, it's started to chirp at full lock turns. Could be alignment, could be VC, I haven't really taken a look. Fuel economy is no different from when I bought it.

It's a pig in the city, but it's still pretty maneuverable for a truck it's size. Love it on the highway though, it's nice to have a quiet highway cruiser.

Normally it runs on the 2nd line to the left of 210, and with the grille block on and with A/C it was just under the line just to the left of 210. Off road, it'll sit at that same point, or sometimes right at 210.

As far as the grille block, I kept the center open for the fan clutch, hoping that it wouldn't come on, but in doing so the oil cooler is blocked. It's on the passenger side of the grille, and I think that's where the extra heat would be from. I think your 5.9 has an electric fan, if so I'd keep the oil cooler unblocked with the 2 open slabs.

I'm still surprised the 5.9 has cooling problems, needing a beefier cooling system, hood vents, etc. It's not like it's that much more powerful, and certainly for other vehicles that share same motors with different displacements, they don't have to go through the drastic changes to keep their larger versions cool.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues