Thread: Broke 40 mpg
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
wildfire8
EcoModding Lurker

Racer XD - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT
Team Hyundai
90 day: 33.26 mpg (US)

Racer XD 2013 - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT
90 day: 31.48 mpg (US)

Racer XD 2014 - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Racer XD 2012 - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT

Racer XD 2011 - '06 Hyundi Elantra GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
40 mpg on a tank was my first goal. My next goal is 40 or very close to it on average. Best average before any mods was 36.1 or so, best tank was 38.8.

So far the 3 tank average (since fitting the grill block) is 37.7

Now it's time for a lower grill block, skinnier tires, smaller mirrors and some moonies.
Congrats. It took me a while to reach 40 mpg. But when you get it and keep getting it it feels good. These Hyundai's are really good cars. Mine is rated at 31 mpg on the highway but with some driving techniques and some aero mods I am able to get 40+ mpg, but only in warm weather. 36mpg in the cold. This winter took a big toll on my fuel economy. I had to get new tires (LRR) they are nice but my olds tires that where warn down gave me better fuel economy. Once your tires get some life on them you should get a little bit more fuel economy.

Your car should have a factory belly pan correct? If so you should try and extend it back as far as you can. I made one for my Hyundai Elantra that goes from the bumper to the spot under middle of my driver seat. That is one of the best mods I have done on my car. With the grill block and bumper block just make sure you are monitoring you engine temps. I would recommend getting a Scan gauge 2 to see the actual temps not just the needle temp. It helped me with my grill block/bumper block/ and belly pan.

http://www.cars.com/ City 27 mpg - Highway 34 mpg
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ City 23 mpg - Highway 31 mpg - Combined 26 mpg