View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #98 (permalink)
darlo
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
I really doubt you're going to kill a 5+ kWh battery in three months. Assuming you drive 10000 miles/year at 30mph, and your car uses 200W on average, then you'll put the equivalent of ~15 100% dod cycles on it, which shouldn't kill any deep cycle battery. You should fill in the specifics to get a better idea of the wear on your battery, but I really doubt you'll need more than one deep cycle battery unless you are driving more than 5 hours w/o charging and have fairly high current draws (~500W).
I drive around 600 Miles a week on average (less in the summer), but since June 2010, I have gone 15000 miles. Also, my stock alternator is only 50 amps, so that is in my favor! I basically want to make sure I could drive for 4-5 hours @ 50 mph and not have to even think about worrying about running out, lol!

My question was also about what is better for the life of the battery too, and what would be harder on the car?

Is there any other things to watch out for when doing this mod? I am not very mechanically inclined, so I may be thinking this is easier than it sounds?

I am literally thinking of just buying a couple big deep-cycles, hooking them up to my existing starter battery, and then removing my alt belt and installing a shorter one that just hits my engine and water pump. Oh and I was thinking of perm installing a battery charger so I would simply have to plug my car in at night!

Will this work, and is it that simple?