View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Jason,
Good to see people are enjoying my write ups on the wiki.

To my knowledge shifting into and out of N is the only true way to disengage the "clutch" Note: there is no actual clutch on a auto.

a half way of doing it is to disengage the torque converter (if you have manual control)

I routinely go in and out of neutral on my automatic without any issue. Before i had control of the torque converter I did have to rev match otherwise there would be a good crunch as the wheels span up the engine.
so for me if i was above 60 kph while in neutral i would rev up to 1.5k then shift into drive. or if i was at 100 kph i would rev up to 2.2k then shift into drive.
This stopped any crunching or noises.

after i got control of the torque converter i stopped rev matching as the unlocked torque converter will soak up any rev mismatch as its not a direct mechanical connection.
so now at 100kph i have the torque converter unlocked then i shift direct into drive, the engine comes up to speed based on the wheels backpowering through the torque converter (the car slows a little bit) then i switch the torque converter lock on and away i go.

Hope that helps, good luck