View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
hvatum
EcoFodder

Jetta TDI - '00 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
Some of the graphs in the link below are very useful. Regarldess of who you believe, we need to be wise and responsible in planning the future. We are in this together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

Remember though, peak oil does not equate to peak cheap energy.

It's true that we're approaching peak oil, but we're decades off from hitting peak fossil fuels, most of which can be gasified.

We need to be wise and responsible about planning for the future, but not because we're about to or already running out of fossil fuels, rather because we're doing serious damage to our environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo
Well peak oil is here now or will be really soon. It don't think all the oil will be used up for a long time, because as prices oil get ridiculous in the future ($500 to $1,000 a barrel). Alternatives will become more and more attractive.

So I will guess oil will get unacceptably high priced by 2025 (I would say 60% to 80% of all oil will be used by that point.
Prices would only approach levels like that either temporarily, or due to government regulations and taxes. Given that it's already economical at, being pessimistic, $50 per barrel to gasify coal, extract tar sands and so on prices like that won't hit anytime soon due to natural market conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1
There more oil, tar sands, natural gas, and coal left in the ground than atmosphere to pollute. The only real fear is that the price suddenly drops again like the 1980s and its back to the same old same old.
Yup, sadly that's the case!

Really cheap oil is done now though, we can no longer just dig a 10ft well and have an oil gusher like in 1900. It's still pretty damn cheap as energy sources go though.