View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65impalass View Post
Thanks for the relies so far. Can anyone tell me how long tires and chains will last, and how long the whole bike should last? What I want to do is figure the costs over the life of the bike.
On my Ninja 250, i have Kenda K671 touring tires (inflated to 65psi, they are rock hard) and have 20,000 miles on them, and they don't seem worn out at all considering their use. If i had to guess there is about 70% tread left. They are AWESOME touring tires for the money. My bike will never have another tire brand and model on it for as long as i have it. They are the best bang for the buck.

The stock chain on my bike lasted pretty long. I had to replace it because my sprocket setup moved the rear wheel rearward (moreso than stock) and the chain stretched, and i could not tighten the chain any more. I opted for a RK XSO X-ring chain, and it's holding up really well. Some forum members have over 20,000 miles on the chain with not one single problem. As long as you clean and lube it regularly, it will last a long time.

There are people who have put over 100,000 miles on their Ninja 250's with an original drivetrain. These bikes certainly last a very long time as long as you take care of it.

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theycallmeebryan For This Useful Post:
65impalass (02-21-2011), Christ (02-24-2011)