View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
j12piprius
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
My electricity bill for this 1400 s/f house has ranged from $5.67 to $6.76 over the last 7 months through the winter. The kw/day/month have ranged from 2.2 to 2.6, or about 1.2 kw/day per person. I would like to keep getting this lower. My next priority is to get rid of the gas bill completely.

WOOD HEAT
I hated the dry blown air from the gas furnace, and it's inefficiency, so I got a fireplace insert 10 years ago, and haven't used the gas furnance since then. I have usually paid $100 for wood each winter, but last year I free rounds from the city from trees they cut down, split the wood, and plan to do this myself from now on. Total yearly cost for heating the house: $0.

LIGHTING
I got a bunch of Feit 13 watt daylight bulbs and they're great. However much of the time they put out more light than I need, so I got some 2 watt led's on E bay from hong kong. They provide plenty of light at light, unless I want to use one of the daylight bulbs for reading. I think the optimum for indoor living would be no more than 5 to 10 watts per bulb. My cost for lighting is quite low. I have a record of the cost for electricity for each item in the house.

COOKING
I hated the fumes from the gas stove more than anything, and finally got rid of it completely last fall! I was going to get an electric stove, but fortunately was guided to induction cookers! I got 2 of the burton 6200 induction cookers and they are so amazing that so far I've only used one of them! The cost of cooking has been greatly reduced, is faster, and best of all the pre and post fumes are gone!

ELECTRONICS
My first computer build with sabayon linux, plus connection uses 58 watts. The vizio 26" tv uses 26 watts.

REFRIGERATOR
The old upright was very annoying, as it ran about 50 percent of the time, all the cold air would fall out every time it was opened, and it would go on again. So I converted a chest freezer to a fridge, and got rid of the fridge. The conversion uses an average of only 8 watts an hour, compared to the 100 watts that were used by the fridge. For awhile I used a separate chest freezer for freezing, then decided that I didn't need to freeze anything anyway, and don't use it any more.

HOT WATER
This is the only gas applicance left in the house, and I can't wait to get rid of it. The bill is $8 a month, and most of that is bill cost! Actual gas use for heating the water amounts to about $3 a month, and most of this is for reheating the water in the tank, due to heat loss up the chimney! An electric tank has no chimney, so the reheating can be greatly reduced. Also I can put an electric tank on a timer, with or without a thermostat. Recently I found the following link that shows how to convert a gas water heater to electric, which I am planning to do very soon.
IWillTry.org » Convert your gas hot water tank to electric

OTHER
The treadmill and washing machine hardly use anything.

Right now the electricity plus gas bills total about $14 a month. I'd like the hot water conversion to bring this combined total to less than $10 a month.