View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #4405 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Ya, it makes for around 14watts of power loss from resistance at 1000 amps along the M- bus bar, where it is touching the powerboard. That's less than I thought, because I had ordered it thinking that 1000 amps was running down teh whole length of it, which it won't be. You will only get 1000 amps right at the end, after all the mosfets and diodes. At the back end, there will only be around 72 amps, then 0.8" after that 72*2 amps, and then 0.8" after that, 72*3 amps, etc... So adding up all the power losses from the individual pieces for the length of the bar is around 14w. Now, there will be some loss from the remaining inch or 2 at the end where M- sticks out, but that's just a few more watts. PLus, the dang mosfets will be putting out a heck of a lot more than that. I'm thinking that 1/4" x 3/4" would have been fine. haha. Oh well. At least now you have the equivalent of 00000000 GAUGE wire. Do they make octuple aught copper wire?

Oh, and I had been losing sleep over the loss of space for the current to flow on the bottom of the power board, and I wanted to add a little something special to the bottom of it. B- is just the battery amps, but I still wanted the full 1000 battery amps too. All the gaps between where the diodes poke through are about 0.1" wide, so I got some 3/32" square copper "wire" or "rod", I'm not sure which it is, and I'm going to solder that along the path, which should help keep those skinny little tracks cool. That's around 1" x 3/32" of copper cross sectional area, which is only needed for a few millimeters, so the power loss is going to be completely insignificant, and the bottom of the board will not vaporize!

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 02-23-2011 at 11:57 AM..