View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hubert Farnsworth
EcoModding Lurker

Planet Express Ship - '94 Geo Prizm LSI
90 day: 36.57 mpg (US)
The car has alloy wheels, so I'm not sure how the normal hub caps from a steel wheel would work, I could see some how modifying a pizza plate or other disk shaped metal object but then there is a question of how to mount them in such a way as to be easily removable when necessary, but not come off under the normal loading exerted while driving. This could also affect brake fade quite badly if you cut off the air flow across the wheel (which reduces drag) it can cause the heat from braking to remain soaked into the brake components reducing their effectiveness in an emergency situation.

I've been trying to shift to as high a gear as soon as possible, however in low speed situations rather than trying to over shoot then coast down I've been gearing down in the wintertime to assist the brakes should I need to stop on ice or snow, this I feel probably isn't the best technique for f/e however.

Since having changed locations at least once in the time I've had the car the new route to campus takes longer and involves nominally more highway cruising than before (albeit only 2-4 miles instead of the steady state 40-50 miles driven on the work rotation).

I'm wondering if I had enough time before classes to try and run this portion at closer to 2000-2500 rpm (which in this car is between 45 and 60ish) rather than accelerating up to 70 or trying to keep pace with traffic, although sometimes the right lane is going slow enough for it not to matter.

The car is OBD1 and has a toyota engine, ecm, and manual gearbox, therefore the scangauge won't work with it as far as I know, and I'm not confident enough yet with my wiring skills to tackle the opensource versions yet either, so I've been trying to make my metrics based on distance covered and fuel used based upon fillup logs, but recently I've noticed too much variation in the point in which one pump at one station clicks off relative to another elsewhere.

Apart from when I first learned to drive with a manual gearbox and my mileage was only 29 for the first tank it has never dropped below this except under certain winter conditions with short commutes when the car can never achieve normal operating temperature before setting off