View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Super fast warm up mod - Engine insulation

So, I have a new 7 mile commute, and it is currently winter. Of course this leaves little time for the engine to warm up let alone time to operate with a warmed up engine, or get any heat out of the vents. So, I thought about my options. A block heater is a must. I do have a 1000W Kats circulating block heater. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to install it yet. Also, it only heats me up for the trip to work, not the trip back. I'd like something that can give me a warm engine (and heat) both ways. So, I went over some ideas we've talked about here before and what OEMs have done, a coolant tank/thermos, using exhaust to heat the coolant, grill blocking (done already), and lastly insulating the engine. I've pretty much settled on insulation due to the low cost and relative ease it should be to do this. Why would you need a thermos if the engine itself is insulated? Seems to take some complexity out of the situation.

Once it starts to warm up outside this will cause issues I'm sure with my massive grill block. At that point I'll probably have to cut some holes in it or work on some type of actuated block. Until then I was thinking fiberglass duct insulation (~R3) would do well to hold the heat in. I'll probably also extend the insulation around the transmission to help warm it faster as well. I'm not sure how warm it gets though. Perhaps I'll leave this insulation as removable for warmer weather.

Thoughts? I know a guy did this with his Insight. I'm not sure how it worked out for him though.