View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
MGB=MPG
Smooth Operator

Old Yellar - '79 MGB Tourer Drop-Hood Coupé
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.83 mpg (US)

Old Brown Ford - '91 Ford Bronco Custom

MAGNUM - '05 DODGE MAGNUM SXT
your questions about the wheel covers are valid .

look at my machine in the garage . i think the smoothie full moons will fit up nicely and may not look to shabby , what do you think.

there are strings i have seen where folks with the instantaneous MPG read outs have tested var. stratagem acceleration what not , sorry i can not link you to them.
a chart for your power plant is helpful
as you see my vehicle has no electronics , save a condenser in the points ignition.

a valuable informative and inexpensive tool/instrument to install is a vacuum gauge that detects intake manifold vacuum .

22$ from jcwhitney + 8$ install/tube kit
install is easy enough
then adjust ones throttle application in reference to that gage. on intake sensing the higher the reading in INHG the less application thus increase FE

full throttle [WOT :wide open throttle] one sees 0 [ZERO] on the gage . a more economical application 10 INHG .. even better 15 INHG . at full off throttle 20-25 INHG should be seen.
imagine a route requires on ramp to high speed divided motorway 4 miles to an off ramp.
on ramp merge see heavy power application to merge [5-10 INGH] use the proper methodology to shift up to top cog. when merged in high gear apply moderate application [15 INHG] at a level to continue to gain speed until the coast point to the off ramp is reached .. if that is 70MPH why not. the important thing for safety is to use proper merging to the motor way , if that requires WOT to match traffic speed that is what you must do no matter the effect on FE. once the motorway is attained as long as you are in excess of Minimum speed and in acceleration thats OK .
at the coast point reduce throttle application to such an extent that as you reach the off ramp you are at ramp speed , this might not be full off throttle just a reduction of application seeing perhaps 17-18 INHG

does that make any sense and appear to be proper methodology ?

w/o any o2 sensor and all that jazz i use a EGT[exhaust gas temp] to get an idea of the conditions in the combustion chamber. .. 1250 F would be an efficient and moderate application . 1300F getting in the power zone , 1400-1500 , heavy power poor FE . 1600 Do not exceed ..
on reduction of power the EGT falls immediate ..this is a more expensive instrument which i am just learning to use