View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
MGB=MPG
Smooth Operator

Old Yellar - '79 MGB Tourer Drop-Hood Coupé
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.83 mpg (US)

Old Brown Ford - '91 Ford Bronco Custom

MAGNUM - '05 DODGE MAGNUM SXT
i cant shift gears fast enough to operate at WOT in the lower gears i spend most of my time at cruise .

the greater the pressure differential the faster the charge velocity and better mixing
since at a given road speed gear combination speed the piston will continue to cycle at the same rate drawing less air and fuel mixture into the cylinder , i think when operating at 17 INHG manifold indicated and the valves close the air/fuel mix in the chamber will be at LESS THAN ambient until the compression cycle starts, i've never seen any data on the pumping losses to the energy cycle , so while the engine may not be operating as efficiently IE: converting a larger proportion of fuel energy into motion the net effect will be to burn less fuel / mile .

when you speak of downsized engines you are not speaking of either my or your machine , your 1600CC is rated at 105 HP my 1800CC rated at 62 bHP

that is unless your machine weighs 4000 Lbs

i would like a light weight carbonfiber air body 2+2 tare wight 500 gross 1000, 250- 500 CC superturbocharged and lots of gears , umm like 25 ,burn multi fuel : , when you pulled a grade it might pull down to 25-35 MPH but on the downgrade and on the flats fly..

there is a difference in language here.. you say that when the throttle plate is nearly closed the engine is under load.. old drivers think that when the throttle plate opens you are applying load to engine IE applying power to the gear train