View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #33 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
I have also found that I really only use hot water for showers. I also have turned off the hot water valve under my bathroom sink.

I still have a tank electric hot water heater. I have it hooked up to a water heater timer where the timer portion is off. I strictly use the timer as a manual on/off switch for my water heater, which saves stress on my breaker. I only turn on the hot water heater shortly before taking a shower. I turn it off just before stepping into the shower. I have my hot water heater temperature set so that if I shower with only hot water, no cold water turned on at all, the shower water is a comfortable temperature. This is about 112 degrees F, as indicated by the markings on my water heater thermostat, which I'm sure aren't too accurate. In the winter when it is in the 30's F, I find I need to run the heater about 18 minutes for a comfortable shower. In the summer here in Florida, I don't have to run the heater at all for a comfortable shower. My hot water heater is located in my attic, which helps in the summer, since attic temperatures heat the water.

I haven't used hot water for laundry for decades. Consumer Reports claims the most effective laundry detergents are the ones formulated for and used with cold water.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"