View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hubert Farnsworth
EcoModding Lurker

Planet Express Ship - '94 Geo Prizm LSI
90 day: 36.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busypaws View Post
Just read an article over on CleanMPG, talked about new container ship and price to ship 2200lbs of material over the big pond. Answer $600.00. (I image wholesale, perfered vendor price). But anyway, has anyone researched a method of purchasing a Europe spec'd vehicle (without tax) with a smaller engine and shipping here. I.E. how long would it take for me to if I bought the 1.3L Yaris from Europe shipped here vs. the local 1.6 or 1.8L (I'm guessing) to break even with $3.00 gas price.

Eccomoder bulk purchase of Euro spec vehicles and ship to US. Sounds like a good community service.
Good luck with this goal, despite the fact that they also sell the Yaris here, the EPA as well as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) likely won't allow you to import the eurospec model as the emissons are different enough as well as the occupant safety requirements. It would be easier to import the 1.3L engine and perform a swap if the area you lived in did not monitor emissions that closely, and require that all engines remain basically stock. The us spec Yaris has a 1.5L engine.