View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
A couple things that have been touched on here that I also plan on trying out -

Instant water heater - I plan on re-installing the plumbing in my trailer, and running a single 1" main line (spine line) and manifolds for each object that needs water service. We NEVER use hot water in the washer, so the washer will only receive a cold water line. I want to try a couple 2.5GPM instant (electric) water heaters (tankless) in the home, as follows:

Bathroom - Installed near the tub - tub only uses 2.2 GPM max, and I intend to install a water/water heat exchanger on the drain line of the tub to preheat the line running to the water heater, so some of the heat is recycled, making the job easier on the heater.

Kitchen - We do use hot water to wash dishes, even though we plan on installing a dish washer, which actually uses less water than hand washing, in many cases, and has it's own heater on board. However, I get greasy - cold water doesn't work well on grease. Instant water heater under the sink with the same type of water/water heat exchanger setup.

Eventually, the intent is to disable gas service entirely, run only on electricity, and have the ability to literally drag the trailer into a field, drop it, set it, and live in it without actually hooking up electrical or gas service.