View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
d0sitmatr
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3058 View Post
I don't see where BP relates to Chevron though. I would imagine Chevron readily admits theres oil near this village in Ecuador - the article mentioned (Chevrons?) crews trying to suck it up.

Chevron's '09 total annual profit was $10.5B... not likely to make up $9B in a week. We fight a measly $150 ticket, it'd be kinda like us fighting a ticket equal to our net yearly income after expenses. Make em clean it up, and pay fair damages.
it relates because the area of contamination is larger over all, and BP was asked to put a measly 20m aside, which is a pittance in comparison to the decades of damage we're about to experience, along with the severe loss of an ecosystem already strained from the fishing/crabbing industry in the region, and the industrial runoff off the mississippi.
which is what your seeing in the Chevron article. think of it like this, that same devastation will now be off the shores of our gulf coastal waters for at least a decade, probably much longer, and is too deep to be able to really do much about.

I think that $9b is letting them off easy.
also, about the $10.5b...
you dont honestly believe that was their true profit margin do you ?
from an industry that has seen record levels of profit that has been steadily growing semi-annually for a decade now ?