View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
It looks like the problem is either my fuel pump or my main relay.
I pulled the main relay and it looks fine - no wear or burnt coloration at all.
I would think that the problem would surely be the fuel pump, except that the car drives fine once it is started. There is no hesitation, but there is the lack of power mentioned earlier as well as the drop in FE. *

If I stand next to the engine and manually rev the accelerator linkage to a good high RPM, the car will have a small 'pop' of one of the cylinders not firing maybe once or twice, but it is hardly noticeable and only when i rev it high. The idle is fine.

I tried to start the car two days ago, and there was no 'hum' noise that the fuel pump makes when you turn the key to the 'on' position.
Then today, after pulling the main relay, I put it back in and turned the key. I immediately heard the 'hum' of the fuel pump and knew the car would start.
It did.
I have read about fuel pumps doing this when they get hot, but the pump was cold in both cases. I'm just really hoping that the fuel pump isn't dying.
The reason that I posted was to ask what symptoms to look for in a failing pump.
The symptoms that i have read about on other forums so far sound more like a relay problem, since the car has never stalled, or even stuttered while driving. It just refuses to start at random ( despite hot or cold weather ) like a relay problem.
BTW I checked all the fuses - all good.

* When the car was not starting, I ran a spark test on a couple of the plugs ( hard to do when you don't have help )
It looks like the coil that I just had replaced from the shop i mentioned before is either junk, or the distributor is bad, because both plugs were only giving a weak orange spark. ( but at least it was constant )
This could have something to do with the poor FE, but not a sudden drop like I have had right ?

I know that this is not a car fix it forum, and i thank all you guys for the advice you have given me. I actually have been trying other sources besides here.

I have looked at several honda forums, and I'm really confused, since there are so many things that can go wrong with a car that sound like something else. I certainly trust you guys more that the auto shops that I have called and parts stores as well.
Of course they are going to tell you it is the most expensive part.

Thanks !