View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
byte312
EcoModding Lurker

Ok but add the effects of drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBecker View Post
Just to repeat: this is false. Double the weight is only 2x the energy to accelerate to the same speed. And the braking distance might not increase at all, as it's usually traction limited.

But the idea that you can reclaim the energy is also mostly false. A regeneration cycle is very inefficient -- 25% to 30% is typical.

Ok I think that you are correct. But is it fair to say that drag will increase with added weight? The kenetic energy is x2 for twice the weight but now add the increased drag from the tires being pressed into the pavement and the bearing friction then figure in the reduced effeciency of the motor as it passes more current almost like a straight piece of wire under heavy load. This is what will rapidly discharge your batteries.

I will take the advice of anyone who gets thier car to go 200 miles on a charge and worship them as a god. Results are on the bottom line.

regeneration of 25% to 30% is fantastic. If you can get that much energy back, your range will be 25 to 30% better. When your car stops on the road 10 miles from home you will wish you had an extra 10% You would not throw 25% of your money in the street and call it practical.
If you do I will pick it up at the risk of being charge with a violation of the laws of physics. 85%, 95%, 100% is not overunity.

The most practical cars do not have a full transmission, CV joints, and differential.

Some good examples are: (and yes I am saying it again) the Tesla cars, or the British Mini with a range of 280 miles. The Leaf is not bad with a range of 100 miles. That would make me happy. There are different and better ways to build a car. Pick the best example and work from there.