View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
2004 Civic Kamm Sedan Back Project

OK, So here's what I'm thinking.

I drive across the country routinely now, and although the Civic is getting good mileage ~36 Hwy on average (Winter's killin me) I thought I might make a long haul Kamm Thingy to smooth out the airflow over the back of the car.

I know that now, flow gets shredded going down the back glass. I can see it when it rains & such, the air just doesn't blow from like 2 inches down.

So I figure this takes me from a 27% to 40% aft body. I'm about 2 inches low in the back due to my roof line taking a pretty sharp dive about 10 inches before the rear glass. If I try to get back on the "Curve" it just doesn’t seem to flow. Anyway, this shape beats the heck out of the Prius shape anyway.

The idea is to use this for the 4 days I travel 2,100 miles across country, then take it off and store it till I go back home.

I'm thinking of using redwood to build a frame, then 1 1/2 blue board polystyrene insulation as a skin. The whole thing will weigh like 20 Lbs tops. I'll put a small clear Lexan part in the vertical bit to give me a peek out the straight back. I'm going to attach it with some kind of clamp/hook thing on the leading edge of my trunk lid and keep the "contact points" limited to the back window and the tops of my rear light fixtures so I don't damage the paint on my trunk lid.

The redwood chunk and 4x8 blueboard should only be about $20.

I plan on using polyurethane adhesive in a caulk form along with screws to hold the foam in place. I'm not sure what to use as a body filler, I thought maybe just Bondo, and I don't know what to paint it with. I thought I could just paint it with spray paint made for plastic as a primer coat, then use regular enamel over that.

So here's the shape I'm going for.

Whatcha Think?? I'm hoping this will get me into the 40mpg range consistently at 70mph.