Thread: EGR with header
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The EGR comes from one cylinder, I'd think it work better if it came from all 3, so the scavenging effect is equalized.
It probably would be better.

Quote:
Isn't the EGR working against the intake manifold pressure, and would be better positioned as a "ram" effect.
Mmmm, nope. Exhaust is positive pressure (vs atomosphere) and intake is negative, so EGR naturally flows to the intake.

Quote:
The EGR passes through the head, would it be better to bypass this heating of the head at this spot from one cylinder?

Is it best to have the EGR gasses cooler, and thus source them much farther down the exhaust where it has a chance to cool down?
The head will actually cool the EGR. However, on diesels and the 3rd gen Prius, they are using exterior EGR coolers so that you can run higher amounts of EGR which can have fuel economy advantages. I've been messing around with this idea, but have yet to actually fabricate/make anything to test it.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eage-7358.html

Quote:
And also, I believe the EGR valve is controlled as an analog vaccuum signal, could I make it a manual switch, or perhaps eliminate the EGR valve alltogether, and have it always on, and just have less power.
Having EGR on during a cold start up or at idle is probably not the best idea. It will most likely prevent the engine from running smoothly. The OEM systems do this automatically and should be retained to ensure proper engine operation.