View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
I'm guessing by the engine sizes and prices that you are looking at Chinese bikes. If this is true, plan to do most if not all the maintenance yourself unless you luck onto a reputable dealer that does work on these. Also check in to where you can reliably get parts, some brands are good, some iffy and some non-existant The Chinese bikes usually use Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki technology and the engines are often well made. Electrics are not quite as good as the Japanese.

I'd vote for the 200cc Dual Purpose. Mine is the Zongshen Sierra ZS200 GY-2 and I'm totally impressed with the quality of the Yamaha design motor, and everything except the electronics for the entry level bike. Parts are stocked and available from thier only warehouse in Miami, it just takes a while to get them. Yamaha engine and other parts swap right in.

My main reason for going with the larger motor is that it gives the flexibility to go longer distances at higher speeds if you want to. Additionally, 200cc on the freeway is going 90 - 100 percent of maximum. Some people reliably go cross-country on small-bore bikes it's just a matter of taking your own sweet time, and enjoying it.