View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
j12piprius
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
putting an automatic transmision in N at stop lights
What is the difference in f/e from being stopped in drive vs neutral?

I see this as being the 3rd stage of a three step process for me, related not only to driving but also my life. I have mostly driven way too fast through my life, ironically to be safer and get away from bad drivers, but probably mostly because I didn't want to waste time sitting in a car. I tried to focus on keeping the speed down, which helped.

This changed a few years ago, precipitated by a typical 35 mile drive to the next town where I passed 103 cars and only 3 cars passed me, while I felt that I was driving conservatively. This got me to thinking that, well, maybe I was still driving too fast, and it could be this wasn't as safe as I'd thought.

It seemed to me that the less cars that I passed and passed me, the safer I'd be, so on the way back I tried to stay in the space way between cars, and neither passing nor driving so slow that cars would pass me. Amazingly, I managed to drive 10 miles in the zone of having no car beside me!!! And I kept count, so if I passed a car, I'd let another go by me, so the balance came out evenly. Since then I have always been aware of being in this zone or space while I'm driving, though there are still times that I get impatient and whip around someone or a group of cars, then get back in the zone. This has definitely helped me to relax while driving and to not get so impatient - because even if everyone stops, I'm still right there in that zone between cars.

I see the focus on f/e hypermiling as the 3rd stage for me, where I am always conscious of the f/e and therefore always driving as conservatively as possible with the fuel (and my life). I have done this in the past at times, doing the pulse and glide or EOC on long hills or when almost out of gas, and invariably have always turned my car off at stops, having worn out a few ignition switches through the years. I used to have to drive for every little thing that I'd do, and now drive as little as possible, though I'm interested in getting a better f/e equipped car for taking out of town trips, or if I decide at some point to take a trip 'round the country.