View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
One way to help answer the question asked is what percentage of time the truck spends above 50 mph. If it is only the commute to the yard, or to the jobsite, some idea must be had where aero will play a part in the reduction of costs.

I saw a recent post on engine hours that the new 2011 Ford diesel breaks out idle time as a separate reading from overall run time. One would like to see even more info on time-in-a-given-speed-range.

Nationwide the average metro speed is 15 mph. Truck companies plan cross-country trips at 50 mph. The range between is useful, IMO. At a 39-mph average I have a lot of highway driving included in my overall fuel use. If my per tank average falls below 27 mph I see a decline in FE that is related to the overall slower travel around a metro area.

For the OP what is the average mph at present? Something below 30 mph suggests mainly urban/suburban; below 25 mph little aero advantage gain is to be had (my guess) as so little time is spent at highway speeds.

Otherwise the generic suggestion of a partial grill block, bed cover and only a partial cover below (from body edge inwards to frame rail) may suffice for pickup truck aero and ROI. A "metro" truck will benefit more from a winter front, LRR tires for summer, fresh fluids/filters, etc. Driver skill versus add-ons past that.

More, and specific, information on truck use could be useful to the thread. What is the present average mph? A log over one week showing time-in-transit, perhaps, for urban versus rural would help. Same for a scaled weight (full fuel, driver plus the usual stuff onboard; and compared to the DODGE Towing Guide Specs). The advantage of a Dakota is in it's smaller size per in-town agility, not necessarily weight reduction or FE over a full-sized truck. It can tow a substantial trailer, for example, well bigger than a Ranger.

And a business vehicle has IRS deductible miles and/or can be depreciated on a schedule. This is a vastly different relationship to fuel use than a private vehicle. The best savings may well lay in a full suite of devices to fully warm the vehicle prior to morning departure, and in maintaining that warmth (where ROI is best, IOW).

A concerted effort to reduce/eliminate idle time would be my focus if for no other reason than longevity (like-new performance over the longest time & miles). I'm all for DIY on this forum, it's fantastic, but it follows the same pitfalls seen on vehicle-specific enthusiast boards where sending money to strangers will magically reduce my op costs. Let's see more of what we're starting with. (Pics, too!).

Last edited by slowmover; 03-06-2011 at 08:44 AM..