View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
fjasper
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)
Making sure the flow attaches nicely to the front of the hood above the grill will help keep the airflow energized. Probably already good.

Venting the hood to allow used cooling air up through it (first third of the hood, probably, would require verification) would effectively increase the hood angle without being too garish (see Mitsubishi Evo line). Probably make hot air get sucked into the ventilation system, though.

Gains should be available by increasing the radius of the A pillars to reduce the vortices that form where they meet the roof (that little patch of swirling water on the side window when you drive in the rain). I've been trying to figure out a nice way to do this on my own project.

Mirrors, of course.

A little rounded hump right behind the windshield might help. It looks like the roofline slopes, so a small hump could smooth the transition, reduce pressure drop, improve pressure gradient on the roof, and leave you with more energy to make the curve onto the Kammback, without increasing the profile. I've seen something like it on the front of a bus, IIRC.

Alternatively, cab-over semis sometimes use turning vanes on sharp corners to help simulate a bigger radius. Like those station wagon rear-window wind deflectors, but on the front. Never seen it done here, but again, I've seen it on trucks, and probably wouldn't look out of place on a jeep.

If it's like most rigs, especially 4WD, the undercarriage is probably where you'll find the biggest easy gains, though. Air dam is quick and easy, belly pan allows for better diffuser performance and better ground clearance. Steep approach angle on the jeep should make the air dam less likely to scrape than on other rigs.

'course, it's all just book learnin' for me. Haven't gotten to test it yet.