View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #114 (permalink)
watahyahknow
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post

I don't know how he did it, but obviously it works!
sorry i had to stop reading here for a bit , the mad max moviecar doesnt actually have a working supercharger , it was mounted on a rack bolted over the stock engine and powered with an 12 volt electric motor .
a good supercharger can freewheel so you can still run it without a belt should it break and limp home

as for the alternator : good ideas , i was thinking electric clutch as whell but mounted at the crank end
the gasengine can be used without electricity by mounting a magneto distributor Vertex Magneto for VW Engines by Great Plains Aircraft Supply Co., Inc. there a few more companies making them for racecars mallory is one of them
you could do away with a belt and parasitic drag to the waterpump by mounting an electric waterpump HV Electric Water Pump Small Block Chevy For Sale some models have a bolt on model like this one others have to be made to fit
powersteering ...... we dont need no stinking powersteering again less parasitic drag , there are manufacturers that use electric power assist motors in the steeringcolumb instead of the hydraulic system used in most american cars but popeye arms are cheaper still
so we can do away with practicly the whole fan belt setup (the only exeption being the alternator ) until the battery runs low and that might depent on the time of day since its only needed for the radiator fan interiour fan lights blinkers and startermotor (lights being the biggest draw of power)
i wonder how mush a battery made from A123 M1 Li-Ion cells would run yah , i seen 12 batteries that are powerfull enough to start a car the same way a lead bettery does but its only half the size and weight so you can run 2 with a battery switch and basicly never run without power