View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
DIY automatic start/stop

So, my wife has taken over my car (the Paseo), and I am now driving the Prius. She doesn't P&G at all. So, I think a little help from an arduino will help out the mileage. It should be pretty easy to come up with some simple logic to allow automatic start/stop.

The system would work kind of like Honda's IMA system. Put it in neutral and the engine shuts down. Put it back in gear and it starts up. The arduino will use the crankshaft position sensor to verify if the engine is running or not. Switches will need to be added to tell the arduino if the car is in gear or not. So, other than some wiring and adding switches to the shifter, the mod shouldn't be incredibly involved.

I know others have thought of this, but a quick search found nothing on it. Anyway, as usual I'm just using EM as a sounding board for some feedback and ideas. I actually have the code for the arduino written already. I just need to figure out the wiring and necessary relays.