View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
d0sitmatr
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
possibly the most non-aerodynamic ? (Nissan Xterra)

I honestly think that the Nissan Xterra has to be one of the top 5 most non-aerodynamic vehicles Ive ever seen...
for those who live in FL, they know about the system that crossed the state yesterday, well, I got caught in it while doing some errands. the speed limit on the major roads near me are 65mph, so when I saw the storm front about to come over me I decided to turn off and take an alternate route, which the spd limit is 55mph, on 2 lane rd, but hardly any traffic (maybe see 3 cars every 5 miles)
anyways, so Im on this road, traveling 50mph in expectations of the storm, and when it hit all I can say is I am damn glad I did so, even at 50mph when it hit I had to fight hard, much more than any other vehicle Ive ever driven, to keep it on the road ! (and Ive driven through a couple of cls 1 and 2 hurricanes before !)
when the storm passed and I was at home, I took some time and really looked over the Xterra and I have to say I was more than a little alarmed about how poorly thought out it is in its design.
the only thing I can say good about it was that it did not hydroplane easily, and that it truly is one of the more comfortable rides on long drives. other than that...
the aero is abysmal, the gearing is set so high that it revs over 3k @ 70. (and the engine is far and away strong enough to handle at least a 1k drop at that speed)

I have decided I can do without it and am selling it, or trading it. hoping to pick up a protege5 as Ive always really liked them, they are very reliable and I know Mazda's very well.